Banking has been shifting to digital for years. Customers may have chosen their institutions due to location in the past, but not anymore. Now, a strong digital footprint is crucial in the banking industry.
Content marketing can help banking institutions:
- Build trust and credibility
- Educate customers
- Engage and attract customers
- Enhance online visibility
- Nurture existing customer relationships
Learn more about the most effective content marketing channels. Plus, discover strategies for banking institutions and how to use them effectively.
Overview of content marketing channels
Marketers use different channels to distribute and promote content to a wider audience. Depending on your end goal, any combination of channels can be successful. There are dozens of channels ranging from press releases to influencer marketing to online forums like Reddit.
Some common channels include:
- Blogs: These are regularly published, free-to-access articles on your company website. Blogs can help improve SEO, establish thought leadership, and engage audiences.
- Social Media: Posts on networks like Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram can be powerful. Connecting with your audience on social media platforms helps promote engagement and build brand awareness.
- Email: Speak directly to your customers by email. Newsletters can share blog posts, industry news, promotions, and other valuable content.
- Video: Video marketing can bring your messages to life. Companies use platforms like YouTube and Vimeo to share educational videos, product demonstrations, customer testimonials, and more.
- Webinars: Host online talks to educate your audience. Webinars are live or pre-recorded online events where companies can present in-depth content, host Q&A sessions, and engage with participants.
Top content marketing channels for banking institutions
If you’re just starting to develop a content strategy as a bank, it’s best to choose just a few channels to start. These are the top content marketing channels to master as a banking institution:
Website content and blogs
A well-designed website serves as the foundation for a bank’s online presence. This channel plays a vital role in attracting and engaging customers.
Banks can establish themselves through informative and valuable content such as:
- Blog posts
- Thought leadership articles
- Financial guides
- Educational materials
Banks can also showcase their products and services, helping customers make informed decisions.
- 24/7 accessibility: Content on the website remains available and accessible to users at all times.
- SEO and organic traffic: Publicly available content on your website can help increase visibility on search engines.
- Trust and authority: Educational content on your website can help customers feel more trusting of your brand.
How to leverage
- Write engaging blogs to educate visitors
- Clearly communicate your institution’s benefits on website pages
- Follow SEO best practices
Social media platforms are essential for banks. Banks can connect with their audience, promote their brand, and engage customers on social. Social posts also provide an opportunity for banks to humanize their brand. Finally, social media can build trust by being responsive and transparent.
- Direct customer engagement: Social media provides a direct line of communication between banks and their customers.
- Improved content reach: Social media posts allow banks to share valuable content with their followers and a vast audience beyond.
- Community building: Social media fosters the creation of online communities around the bank’s brand.
How to leverage
- Share visual content or infographics on Instagram
- Respond to comments and concerns on Facebook and Twitter
- Post polls to gather customer feedback and understand customer preferences
Email marketing is a powerful tool for banks to communicate directly with customers. Through newsletters and direct emails, banks can have one-to-one conversations with real customers.
- Personalized communication: Email allows banks to send personalized messages to their customers based on their preferences.
- Direct and immediate communication: Email provides a direct and immediate line of communication between banks and their customers.
- Automated and scheduled campaigns: Email marketing platforms offer automation features that allow banks to set up automated email campaigns. Campaigns triggers may be as simple as specific dates or more complex according to customer actions.
How to leverage
- Use personalization to make emails feel unique to each user
- Deliver educational content through newsletters
- Distribute other content marketing efforts — like blogs or eBooks
- Use segmentation to send different content based on preferences and behaviors
Effective content marketing strategies used in real life
Several banks have successfully implemented content marketing strategies to engage their customers. Here are some real-life examples of banks using content marketing:
Bank of America’s website content hub
Bank of America launched the Better Money Habits® website content hub to help educate customers. The hub includes articles and videos. But also interactive tools such as calculators to help individuals improve their financial literacy. Bank of America integrated the content hub with its website and promoted it through social media and email marketing.
Ally Bank’s social media with heart
One bank that uses social media well is Ally Bank. Ally Bank is an online bank known for its innovative and customer-centric approach to banking. Its social channels reflect this. The bank consistently produces engaging and informative content across its social media platforms. Ally also emphasizes being approachable, friendly, and customer-focused.
Capturing inboxes with Capital One
Capital One has truly well-designed and engaging email campaigns. To encourage customer engagement, they use eye-catching visuals, interactive elements, and clear calls-to-action. Capital One’s emails often focus on promoting credit card offers, rewards programs, and financial education content.
Emerging trends in content marketing for banking institutions
If you’ve already mastered the basics of content marketing, it may be time to look to the future. Some trends in the future of banking content marketing include:
- AI content and chatbots
- Video marketing
- Podcasts and audio content
- Voice search content
- Interactive content
Create banking content that converts
Content marketing can be a powerful tool for banking institutions. By using the right channels, content can help:
- Build trust
- Gain organic visibility
- Engage customers
- Build brand awareness
Whether you’re just putting together your first content strategy or looking to expand your reach, ClearVoice can help.
To master content marketing channels, you need writers that understand the industry. Find expert finance and legal writers through the ClearVoice network.