Launched by John Deere in 1895, The Furrow, also known as the “Journal for the American Farmer,” is one of the earliest examples of content marketing.
The Furrow is still going strong, and so is content marketing.
When done right, content marketing can help companies achieve several business goals. For instance, increased brand awareness, new leads or prospects, more sales, and improved customer loyalty.
But there’s a problem.
Content marketing takes time and can quickly become expensive. Plus, if you don’t know what you’re doing, frustration can easily build up.
In this guide, we’ll delve into when it might be time to outsource your content marketing. Also, the benefits of partnering with a reliable content agency and some guidelines for choosing the right content strategy agency.
Recognizing the Signs: When to Outsource Your Content Marketing
When is it time to outsource your content marketing?
Here are some telltale signs:
1. No time or resources to create and manage content in-house.
The costs of creating content in-house can become prohibitive. That’s because content marketing has several moving parts:
- Content strategy
- Keyword research
And that’s just for written content. If you plan to branch out into podcasting or video marketing, you’ll need audio engineers and video editors too.
If you’re operating on a shoestring budget, you’d be lucky if your two- or three-man team can do all these well.
Outsourcing to a content marketing agency can save you time and resources. Allowing your team to focus on what it does exceptionally well.
2. You need to scale up your content marketing efforts quickly.
Several factors can prompt businesses to quickly scale up content marketing:
- Increased content demand and engagement: You see a significant uptick in website traffic. The number of comments, shares, or interactions on your social media posts is through the roof. These indicate that your content resonates with your target audience. Creating more of these types of content can result in better business.
- Target audience or market expansion: At some point in your company’s growth, you’ll enter a new market or target different customer segments. You’ll probably also launch new products or services. Increasing content production lets you reach a wider audience.
- Growing competition: Consistently producing valuable, engaging content positions your brand as a thought leader. This gives you a competitive edge.
- Shifting or expanding business goals: When your goals shift because of market changes or evolving business needs, you may have to double your content marketing efforts. Especially if you want to communicate your new goals and tap into new market segments.
- Content saturation: The sheer amount of content produced and published on the same topics can hamper the effectiveness of your content marketing. Outsourcing can help you explore different content formats.
3. You need assistance in a specific content marketing area.
Agency teams specialize in various aspects of content marketing. Areas they’re knowledgeable about include:
- Social media marketing
- Search engine optimization (SEO)
- Graphic design
Tapping into a pool of professionals allows businesses access to a diverse range of skills not available in-house.
4. You want fresh perspectives and ideas from outside experts.
Content marketing agencies work with businesses across different industries. This exposes them to different markets, best practices, and trends. Partnering with a well-established agency lets you tap into their diverse industry experience. Plus, their specialized skills and resources and cutting-edge approaches.
5. You’re not seeing the results you want from your in-house content marketing efforts.
Several factors can hamper the success of your in-house content marketing efforts:
- Lack of expertise
- Limited resources
- No cohesive content strategy
- Inconsistent implementation
- Insufficient audience understanding
- Inability to make data-driven decisions
- Overly competitive market landscape
If your initiatives yield subpar results, it’s time to start looking for a reliable content marketing agency partner.
Understanding the Benefits of a Content Strategy Agency
Outsourcing your content marketing to a specialized agency offers the following advantages:
- Access to seasoned professionals with content strategy, creation, and promotion expertise.
- Objective assessment of your current approach, what’s working, and what to improve to revitalize your efforts.
- Access to the latest resources, technologies, and tools to execute campaigns more effectively.
- Valuable industry insights and a deep understanding of what works in various markets.
- Consistent, high-quality content that builds brand credibility, encourages audience engagement, and delivers a cohesive brand experience.
- Reduced overhead costs associated with hiring and training full-time employees and other related expenses.
- Scalability and flexibility are necessary for addressing fluctuating content marketing needs.
- Ability to focus on core business initiatives while the experts handle content marketing.
- Peace of mind.
How to Choose the Right Content Strategy Agency
When choosing a content strategy agency, there are several key factors to keep in mind:
Experience and Expertise
Does the agency possess a proven track record of experience in SEO, content creation, audience targeting, and analytics? How long have they been operating? What industries have they worked with? What types of clients have they served?
A reputable agency can infuse much-needed creativity and insight into your initiatives.
Portfolio of Work
Evaluate the agency’s portfolio to get a sense of the quality of their work and capabilities. Check for content marketing campaign examples they’ve successfully executed. Consider the diversity of the types of content they can create.
This will help determine if their approach and style align with your brand’s objectives.
Process and Methodology
How does the agency develop and implement content strategies? What’s their approach to content research, creation, distribution, and performance tracking?
You want a content strategy agency with a structured and well-defined content process. One that consistently delivers stellar results.
Culture and Values
Is the agency a cultural fit? Does their work style align with your expectations? Do you share the same work ethics and business values? How far are they willing to go to deeply understand the needs of your business?
As Michael Brenner of Marketing Insider Group puts it, “Take an honest look at relationship potential.”
A strong cultural fit between the agency and your business fosters effective communication and collaboration. It also establishes mutual trust and promotes a shared understanding of goals and expectations.
Client References and Testimonials
Reach out to the agency’s previous or current clients and inquire about their experience.
How satisfied are they with the agency’s performance? Is the agency responsive and able to consistently deliver results?
This feedback can help you gauge the agency’s overall capabilities.
Ask about the agency’s service packages and pricing structures — and consider what you’ll get in return.
Cost is an important determining factor when choosing a content marketing agency, but cheaper isn’t always better. A proven agency with a long roster of satisfied clients can deliver higher ROI over time, even if the upfront costs are higher.
Skyrocket Your Content Marketing with a Trusted Partner
Partnering with a dependable content marketing agency can reinvigorate your content marketing efforts. Plus, significantly increase your results — in less time than doing everything in-house.
It all starts with knowing when to ask for help. ClearVoice offers fully managed content services tailored to your unique needs.