After analyzing 2 million+ bylined articles in Health via our VoiceGraph index, we found a continuing trend toward longer articles. In the period 2014-2019, the percentage of all long-form articles (those over 1500 words) had the highest rate of growth, while the shortest articles (those 300-600 words) had the most significant decline. And the shift has been most pronounced since 2018.
When we looked at word count data across other major industries, we found that Health had the lowest percentage of shortest articles (300-600 words) and the highest percentage of medium length articles (601-1200 words).
Download our ebook to see more data insights on:
- Which word count ranges get 3x more traffic than others?
- Which word count ranges had the least number of “0 shares” on social media?
- What is the distribution of articles in Health categories?
- What are the typical article word counts in the Health industry?
- How does Health compare to other industries?
- How have Health article word counts changed?
Word count ranges studied: