What is a sender score? A sender score is way to boost the chance of your emails ending up in a user’s inbox, rather than their spam folder, a sender score is the reputation of your email account’s IP address. The lower it is, the more difficult it’ll be to reach that inbox.
Think of your sender score as a credit score for your email address. It ranges from zero to 100 and is often the difference between a successful email marketing campaign and one that ends up being a waste of time and money.
After all, there’s not much point in carefully crafting riveting emails if your audience never gets to see them.
So if your emails tend to have high open rates and few spam complaints, you’re more likely to end up with a higher score. (Aim for anything over 80 to be on the safe side.)
Mail servers will use this score to determine whether your email makes it to an inbox, ends up in junk, or is blocked and never delivered. So it’s a good idea to check your sender score every month.
If you do need to improve it, there are plenty of ways to do so. Try sending emails more consistently, ensuring that recipient addresses are correct with an email verification tool, and steering clear of any trigger words that’ll alert a spam filter.
Once your email deliverability is optimized, you can focus on creating that content.
Understanding the terminology of your sender score
- Volume: The number of emails sent from your IP address.
- External reputation: How your IP compares to others on blacklists and whitelists.
- Accepted: The number of emails that were successfully delivered.
- Acceptance rate: Calculated by dividing the number of accepted emails by the number of emails that were sent in total.
- Rejected: The number of emails that bounced compared to other IP addresses.
- Complaints: A rate that’s calculated by dividing the number of complaints per the number of emails that are accepted.
- Unknown users: How often your IP address tries to email a non-existent address, ranked against all other IPs.
- Unknown user rate: Ratio of non-existent email addresses to the number of emails sent.
Improve the success of your email marketing campaigns with better content from ClearVoice. Talk to a content specialist about your needs today.