Some things never change, but social media is not one of them. We’re here to help you stay current with all of the latest social media news updates from new features, product releases, and occasional platform glitches.
One of the newest platforms, Clubhouse, continues to make headlines, and we’re here to help you navigate the audio-only platform with ease. Learn more about Clubhouse and all other platforms with these monthly updates.
Also, while you’re at it, bookmark the best social media hashtag calendar to keep your ideas flowing. It has more than 250 hashtags to keep you on top of the year!Need to get connected with all the latest updates in social media? We’ve got you covered with our monthly #SocialMedia roundup. #IndustryNews | #SocialMediaNews| via @altimesenichole Click To Tweet
Social media updates for Clubhouse
- March 2021 — Clubhouse users can now create clubs without a vetting process. If you’re a Clubhouse user, you know that making your own club on the platform required a submission request form and weeks (possibly months) of waiting. Not anymore! With the recent app update, all users can create their own clubs directly on their profile.
- February 2021 — Clubhouse hits the social media scene, and it has 10 million App Store Installs to-date. By now, you’ve heard about the latest platform, Clubhouse. It is a social platform that’s audio-only. Although the app is invite-only and exclusively available to IOS only, it’s making headlines short of its first birthday, with a launch date of April 2020. The platform surpassed 10 million App Store installs, and the majority of the downloads were in February 2021.
Social media updates for LinkedIn
- March 2021 — LinkedIn celebrates International Women’s Day through e-learning. For International Women’s Day, LinkedIn unlocked numerous platform learning courses. These courses include Leadership Strategies for Women, Own It: The Power of Women at Work, and Becoming a Male Ally at Work. Hurry! These courses will be available for a limited time.
- January 2021 — LinkedIn launches Marketing Labs for its advertisers. For marketing advertisers that work with B2B clients, the LinkedIn advertising platform is considered a bit of a mystery until now. Recently, LinkedIn announced its rollout of LinkedIn Marketing Labs, which consists of on-demand courses for in-house advertisers to learn best practices for advertising on the platform
- February 2020 — LinkedIn adds a new feature to highlight key achievements. In response to user feedback, LinkedIn recently added its latest achievement feature that allows users to showcase portfolio work at the top of their profile pages. Users can include links to external websites or personal blogs, images, and documents to showcase specific details of their achievements to your profile visitors.
Social media updates for Facebook
- March 2021 — Facebook announced the F8 Refresh virtual summit is happening on June 2. Considering last year’s conference was canceled due to the pandemic, Facebook is ready for its virtual experience, streaming on the Facebook for Developers page. The speakers will discuss new features, products, and the future of the Facebook family of apps.
- March 2021 — Facebook announces a way for fan subscribers to connect through fan pages. Content creators have options for earning revenue on Facebook, and one of those ways includes fan subscriptions. Creator Fan Pages can promote a paid membership experience directly from the fan page to their followers. Content creators can choose their membership price and the various types of content available to members.
- March 2021 — Facebook Messenger Rooms aren’t just for messenger. Contrary to the name, Facebook Messenger Rooms are more than simple rooms. Think Zoom, but for Facebook. Facebook Messenger Rooms can include up to 50 people, and users can broadcast to their feeds, pages, or groups.
- March 2021 — Facebook Gaming is leveling up. Facebook Gaming announced its path to partnership for streamers in its Level Up creators program, which is the platform’s equivalent of Twitch’s affiliates. Gaming creators can apply to become a part of the partnership and allow 6-8 weeks for a decision.
- January 2021 — Facebook acquires Kustomer. In recent news, Facebook announced its acquisition of Kustomer, a customer service-focused platform and CRM designed for an optimal experience across digital mediums. With Kustomer joining the Facebook family of brands, the goal resides in maximizing the WhatsApp marketing capabilities and experience for advertisers, keeping the user experience in mind.
Social media updates for Instagram
- March 2021 — Instagram is working to allow users to save drafts of Instagram Stories. Although not available to users, Instagram is considering the ability to enable drafts within Instagram Stories. Not many details are disclosed, so we’ll keep you posted.
- March 2021 — Instagram introduces a data-friendly version of the app for 170 countries and users in rural areas. According to World Stats, approximately 63 percent of the world’s population is online, as opposed to nearly 90 percent in North America. In response to this, Instagram created Instagram Light, which is an Android app designed to use less data with a quality experience.
- March 2021 — Instagram expands the IG live experience to include a four-person live feed experience. Instagram announced new capabilities to the in-app live stream, which now consists of the ability to add four people to the live feed.
- January 2021 — Instagram releases a vanishing mode within direct messages. If you are active within Instagram direct messages, you may have noticed a new feature that’s available to you. It’s called vanishing mode.
- March 2020 — Invite a friend (or two) to your Instagram scrolling experience. The Instagram experience is often a solo experience, but now you can scroll with friends. Instagram recently launched co-watching, which allows friends on a video chat or group video chat to browse through feed posts of one user.
Social media updates for Pinterest
- March 2021 — Pinterest search confirms travel as top of mind with its users. According to a recent Pinterest study, travel searches on Pinterest increased 60 percent year over year, having travel search at an all-time high on the platform.
- March 2021 — Pinterest hosts its first global advertising summit virtually. Earlier this month, Pinterest hosted a virtual summit for advertisers to learn first-hand the platform’s latest features and updates. During the discussion, they shared the stage with many dynamic speakers and discussed the power of positivity.
- December 2020 — Pinterest reaches 400 million active monthly users. Pinterest reached a significant milestone of 400 million active monthly users, with men, Millennials, and Gen-Z leading its growth.
- December 2020 — Pinterest releases 2021 predictions. With a solid reputation for accurate predictions, Pinterest is releasing its platform predictions for 2021, including indie beauty, world play, and unplugged weddings.
- April 2020 — Pinterest launches new e-commerce features for retailers in support of small businesses. Pinterest announced its release of a variety of features for e-commerce businesses, including the Verified Merchant Program, dynamic retargeting through advertising, and an update to the platform’s product catalogs.
Social media updates for Twitter
- March 2021 — Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey’s first tweet sells for 2.9 million. Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey’s first tweet was recently sold for 1,630.58 ether, a cryptocurrency valued at approximately 2.9 million. Dorsey plans to donate funds to GiveDirectly’s Africa Response fund.
- March 2021 — Twitter launches new features, including Spaces. Audio chats, like Clubhouse, continues to gain traction among the social media platforms, and Twitter is getting into the action with Twitter Spaces. The feature was initially announced in February 2021, and its quickly gaining traction among users.
- March 2021 — Twitter plans to update TweetDeck. If you manage different clients and profiles, this may be great news for you. During a recent interview with Verge, Twitter’s chief product officer Kayvon Beykpour shared upcoming plans to update TweetDeck, which will include a redesign.
- March 2021 — Twitter begins to test larger images in tweets. Twitter is now testing larger images in Tweets with select beta users. If you’re one of the lucky people included in the test, your photo uploads will no longer require the cropped Twitter specs.
Social media updates for TikTok
- March 2021 — TikTok partners with Walmart to test a livestream shopping experience. During an exclusive partnership, Walmart partnered with influencers on TikTok to test its first livestream shopping experience called the Spring Shop-Along: Beauty Edition.
- February 2021 — TikTok releases its transparency report. In an effort to build trust among users, brands, and stakeholders, TikTok released its fourth global transparency report, which covers July through December 2021.
Social media updates for Reddit
- March 2021 — Reddit makes plans to go public. Reddit is known for its AMAs and AMAA’s, but it is also preparing its business structure for going public. The company recently announced that its recent hire for a Chief Financial Offer and upcoming plans of making the platform more user-friendly and mainstream.
- March 2021 — Reddit’s subreddit, WallStreetBets, donates over 300K to a gorilla conservation. The power of community is strong on Reddit, and it shows in the impact recently created on the Dian Fossey Gorilla fund, going viral in one weekend.
Social media updates for Snapchat
- March 2021 — Snapchat releases a remix feature. The new remix feature on Snapchat is similar to that on TikTok and Instagram reels. Although it’s currently available to select users, the full release is coming soon.
- March 2021 — The Snap Partner Summit is happening in May. Snapchat is streaming its summit on May 20th, 2021, showcasing its latest updates in AR, features, games, and more.
- March 2021 — Snapchat plans to feature creators on the platform. If you’re a Snap creator, you could get a spotlight in Snapchat’s newest original mobile series, “The Best Snaps Show,” launched March 14th and hosted by Salice Rose and Brent Rivera.
- February 2021 — Snapchat hosts its first investor day. On February 23rd, 2021, Snapchat hosted a virtual Investor Day, which focused on community, business, and future opportunities. If you missed the session, you could find the transcripts here.
- February 202 — Snapchat reports that it reaches more than 70% of 13 to 24-year-olds. Additionally, the audience resides in countries that generate more than half of the world’s digital ad spend. This essentially means that there is staying power with Snapchat for the next generation, and brands should consider the platform if they desire to reach the younger audience.
Social media updates for WhatsApp
- March 2021 — WhatsApp users can change the speed of voice notes. The newest beta feature in WhatsApp is rolling out, and it’s giving users that chance to experiment with the audio speed of voice notes. March 2021 — WhatsApp is testing voice and audio calls with desktop access. The Mac desktop versions will support voice and audio-only, while PC users will be introduced to a desktop experience.
- March 2021 — WhatsApp is now accessible through your desktop. The mobile-first app is making its debut on desktop. The update allows users to use a larger screen than their mobile devices while still enjoying a private, secure experience.
- February 2021 — WhatsApp’s update impacts millions with older iPhone models. That platform states that this update aligns with its efforts of strengthening privacy and data protection.
Social media updates for Tumblr
December 2020 — Tumblr talks about Top Trends in 2020. In a recent conversation with Cheddar, Tumblr’s Head of Editorial, Amanda Brennan, breaks down the platform’s top trends.
December 2020 — Tumblr Launches LOUDR. In an effort to support marginalized voices in Gen-Z, Tumblr launches LOUDR while pledging 10 percent of its top advertising units.
See more monthly roundups and tips for social media marketers: