Based in Sidney, Neb., Cabela’s is a leading retailer of hunting, fishing, camping and related outdoor merchandise.
Cabela’s needed to develop a multifaceted content marketing strategy to boost their search rankings and drive sales. This prominent and beloved brand had a strong-performing site, but traffic and revenue from organic search were trending down.
The ClearVoice team — made up of a content strategist, SEO specialist and an annount manager — developed a comprehensive content strategy with the goal of improving Cabela’s search rankings and growing revenue. We needed to:
- Conduct a keyword analysis to lay the foundation for all content initiatives.
- Design a content distribution strategy for off-page content by identifying hundreds of reputable third-party sites in the outdoor space.
- Develop compelling, shareable creative assets to increase their content reach.
- Determine which areas of the site would benefit most from an in-depth on-page content strategy.
- Position Cabela’s as an authority in the outdoor space.
Supported by freelancers from the ClearVoice Talent Network and our own teams of in-house editors, designers and SEO specialists, we created content strategies focused on creation, optimization and distribution. We:
- Mapped the right keywords to the right pages and got internal buy-in.
- Optimized internal linking and focused on the pages ripe for better rankings.
- Developed numerous relationships with the leading publishers in the outdoor space.
- Launched Camp Cabela’s, a popular on-page hub of premium content.
- Worked with UX to get user-friendly, SEO-optimized copy in the ideal locations on-page.
- Discovered various lucrative content opportunities through competitive analysis.
- Recruited numerous outdoor-expert writers to create engaging content.
- Created a number of compelling infographics that improved engagement and landed high share counts and external references.
We grew Cabela’s organic search by 20% in 12 months. Rankings across thousands of keywords improved, leading to significant incremental search traffic.
- Year-over-year traffic increase: 19% (2015 to 2016)
- 11,648 tracked keywords saw an increase in ranking overall
- Page 1 rankings increased 36.7 % year-over-year
- Adwords Quality Scores improved and CPCs decreased 30%
We work with the ClearVoice platform and their content strategists to plan and create editorial content. We’re able to collaborate on concepts, review drafts and approve and creative all from within the platform. They also have an impressive roster of influencers and relevant content creators who help us get the right voices and amplification behind our content. — Chris Rocha, Sr. Manager Digital Marketing at Cabela’s.